www.nutria.co.za - View topic - First issues of the soldier 2000 camo
Register

First issues of the soldier 2000 camo

South African National Defence Force (1994 - Present)

First issues of the soldier 2000 camo

Postby steven seymour » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:06 pm

These photos are meant to serve an illustrative purpose only, and are not in any way an attempt to misrepresent myself as a current or former serving member of the SANDF.

Of interest is this 'cut' of the uniform.... cut to the same style as the older 'Nutria' uniform. this shirt and trouser is dated 1995 and 1994 respectively, hence making them very early issues of this type of uniform.

The 'tuck in' shirts fell away in the late 90s, and the later cuts of the trousers saw thinner belt loop, angled side pockets and the introduction of 'pleats'..... I have also been led to believe that the current issue trousers have a zip, as opposed to the traditional 'button up' fly.

The Commando started to receive the camo uniforms in around 1995.... however, officers and senior NCOs were the first to receive, everyone else were still issued with the "nutria" uniform.

The rank badges, belt and flashes indicate a Sergeant-Major (WO class 1) from Welkom Commando (Group 34). the rank badges are still those of the "pre democracy" era, as the new badges were not introduced until 1996 / 1997. The flashes and beret bar were done away with in 2004, and the Commando as it was known was disbanded in 2006 and replaced with the National Volunteer Reserve (NVR)

The pattern '83 battle vest is still the nutria type. Camo versions of this vest only began to be produced around the late 90s and early 2000s.... the nutria vest is however still a common sight in the SANDF of today.
Attachments
IMG_4363.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG (94.96 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
IMG_4364.JPG
IMG_4364.JPG (102.58 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
Steven
A 20 year veteran..... hoping to survive the next 22 years!!

Re: First issues of the soldier 2000 camo

Postby francois » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:01 am

Very nice Steven.

What battle vest are you wearing in your second photo?
Francois

Re: First issues of the soldier 2000 camo

Postby steven seymour » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Francois,

The battle jacket I have on is the normal pattern '83, with one modification.... the pouch on the right side was removed and a black canvas holster stitched on in it's place.... not exactly standard, but I choose to keep it that way as it served a more "practical" purpose for me at the time.
Steven
A 20 year veteran..... hoping to survive the next 22 years!!

Return to SANDF